Notice that it says that some patients clearly need more frequent visits.
Grant Ritchey, DDS examined the historic and scientific literature for recommending dental examination and prophylaxis literature every six months and noted that:
- Insurance companies began to cover dental services in the 1970s and soon learned that covering preventive care lowered their costs.
- It isn’t clear why they began paying for two cleanings per year, but the coverage interval may have been influenced by an advertising campaign for Pepsodent toothpaste.
- Scientific evidence is lacking to support recommendations for dental visits every six-months.
- Some patients clearly need more frequent visits; others can manage with less frequent visits.
- Biological plausibility and common sense are his rationales for recommending six-month recall visits for most of his patients.
[Ritchey, G. The Six Month Dental Recall—Science or Legend? Science-Based Medicine. Feb 23, 2018]
Ah yes, while the rank and file of Delta Dental vote for massive changes to benefit them and their clients, the CEO and Board, all being paid far more than anyone should be for their ‘service’ decline to adopt the changes. This organization is deemed a Social Welfare Organization for tax purposes. Their income was approx. $1.3M last year.
As the head of Delta Dental, CEO Jim Dwyer’s salary has more than doubled to $2.75 million. The board of directors are paid more than $100,000 for part-time service. Where’s the customer focus?
The SmileMobile is in Chimacum next week – July 24 through July 28 at the Tri-Area Community Center. The dentists will provide care to babies up through high school age, pregnant/post-partum women and family members (capacity allows) of the children we see on the SmileMobile. There will be multiple dentists working with us and we have lots of openings left on Tuesday.
Please print and send electronically to all of your friends, community partners, churches and other organizations.
We rely on the community to get the word out about our coming and encourage families to schedule! Our expertise is providing the dentistry.
Our next stops will be in Forks – July 31 through August 11 and Sequim – August 14 – 23.
Senior Program Officer-Arcora – The Foundation of Delta Dental of Washington
- (206) 528.7339; c. (206) 276.1620